Engineering has become an inseparable part of your daily life. The gadgets, vehicles, and some magnificent bridges speak volumes of awe-inspiring engineering. There are other examples of fine engineering that you may see in every aspect of life.
Even having so much engineering importance, many students are not getting motivated in entering this rewarding career. Some of them think it is an uninteresting subject, and some are unaware of the engineering prospects.
Let us discuss the importance, the prospects of STEAM education, and how it can transform the lives of many students.
What is STEM?
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Maths combine to form STEM. There are employment opportunities that are based upon having multiple criteria, and it is the same with STEM. Hence, teaching through the STEM method often paves the way to face real-world applications than the conventional methods of imparting education to the students.
Just think about how an architect or a civil engineer goes on his job daily. He implements those intricacies of science, maths, and engineering all at once to do his job responsibilities. Therefore, you can see how much importance it has on the students after their graduation.
What do you need to STEAM?
STEAM includes the benefits of STEM in and through arts helping to have a more complete, all-around development of the students. Leaders of the STEAM revolution may feel that the differentiation is unnecessary. Including arts in the STEAM, the education system will make them understand in implementing the disciplines in a more creative process. This technique will help them overcome critical problems.
As the STEAM movement is new, it is gaining rapid popularity over the years. Some schools have already added the STEAM program. Future problem solvers can face and solve challenges in a more creative way. These all are part of-the-art exercises.
How to Design a Powerful STEAM Program
The role of educators can have an immense impact in transforming the lives of dozens of students. Therefore, a concrete platform is the hour of the need that believes in forward-thinking and is not dependent on conventional methods. There are three questions to design a powerful STEAM program in your school, effective in the STEAM program:
- Where to Start – Initially, you can have a teacher, a media specialist, and a librarian. These people should believe in the power of STEAM education. These teachers should introduce engineering, coding, robotics, and coding practices in their schools. There are other three key success factors on STEAM education to start:
- Start small – It is necessary to form some basic challenges for the students either in their small classroom or at a centre in their library. Therefore to make it a success, they need to focus on developing on a full-scale.
- Simple Start – You need to integrate some basic and exciting technologies that are readily accessible for everyone to use. Few examples may include making crafts materials in the library or classroom so they can work with and can expand from there.
- Fail fast, but keep improving – You might not get success in the first attempt. Several teachers are welcoming this culture through a variety of programs and tools. They fail, but they keep repeating and ultimately arriving at a solution that works for them.
- What is the best strategy – Each school has its way of working and comes along with its own needs. But below are some proven tactics that most of the teachers are using.
- Accessible to programs and tools – Successful programs are those that are accessible to every student irrespective of their background. It should focus on ease of use to the students so they need not undergo any specific training. It should also appeal to both genders and helping them to bring their capabilities forward.
- Integrating STEAM toys with Other Subjects – Educators should also focus on the interdisciplinary approach. Integrating the use of STEM toys along with teaching other subjects that help the students in gaining diverse knowledge.
- Connecting STEAM projects with Real-world Problems - Identification of problems, sharing ideas, brainstorming sessions, prototyping, and receiving feedbacks are the cornerstones of all STEAM programs. Implementation of STEM projects is the principal aim here to engage the students that will help to face real-life challenges.
- How to grow – Often it is seen that many of the STEM programs fail with a lead teacher. This major reason for this failure is that few people are engaged with the program. The teachers should exchange ideas and share their knowledge from other teachers and involving less tech-savvy educators.
Implementing and using a STEAM program for your child is a vast experience for both the child and the parents. It will create a firm foundation in STEAM subjects that will enable your child in gaining the upper hand after their graduation.